Friday, February 13, 2009

Ridiculous Gifts


What is Your Most Ridiculous Gift Ever?

Valentine’s is a popular time for gift giving in relationships. Whether “he went to Jared(ugh), or “every kiss begins with Kay(vomit) influences your gift giving, or something else. The dumbest gift I ever received, was definitely in the category of “something else”.

My college boyfriend, we’ll call him Jeremy, had 3 jobs, he was an overachiever for sure. I was still living at home with my parents. Now, this is the times before the blessings that are DVR and Tivo came about. Jeremy often had to work nights and being the ever so kind, generous and thoughtful girlfriend I was, I would tape (yes tape, you know VHS in the VCR) his shows.

Now being in college, I was a wee bit needy (translation = yikes). For further clarification see previous blog. I would often tell Jeremy he needed to be more thoughtful in his gift giving and give me something “with meaning.” One week after class I was at his apartment

Jeremy : I have a gift for you!

Me : what? Really? Why?

Jeremy : Well you are always telling me to be more thoughtful – and I saw this and thought of you so I got it for you! (at this point Jeremy is visibly very excited and proud of himself)

Me: Awwww….. (in typical 19 year old gooey gushy fashion) let me see!!!

And from behind his back… with GREAT showmanship, he reveals.




VHS tapes.

Me:.........................................

Jeremy : So you can tape my shows!!!!

He was so proud of himself, and I realized thoughtful is just not in his vocabulary.

What is your most ridiculous gift ever? (Whether it be something you gave or received.. I am just an awesome gift giver so I have no bad given gifts to report here)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, I have an awesome trend of people giving me terrible gifts. Well, not always "terrible", sometimes they were just the complete opposite of thoughtful. I could write an entire blog on this, actually. I'll give you a couple of the highlights:
- College girlfriend calling up and asking "What video games do you want" and then just buying those. (this happened on more than one occasion)
- One of my female friends getting me a white dress shirt... 3 sizes too big. (I was literally swimming in the thing)
- Two of my female friends went together to get me a set of weights... which is fine, until you consider that they've both got 30 lbs on me and got them due to their insecurity and body image issues when I'm around, and preceded the gift with months of "you need to work out and get bigger" comments

So yeah, I know how you feel.

Jewels said...

Wow Brandon - are you EVER happy?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am. It's just much easier to poke fun at the terrible times and laugh at them in retrospect. Does anyone really want to read about the amazing dates I've been on? Probably not.

It's just the cynic in me, I suppose. I can make a happy, more serious post if that will help things?

Jewels said...

Just picking on you Brandon - and agreed- the nice, romantic great dates aren't as fun to read about. Not that I have had any lately...

I can't imagine you writing anything without a cynical view.

Anonymous said...

That's what I figured. And I was just about to abandon the cynical posts I already have started to write a nice, happy one...

Ditto on the lack of quality dates lately.

Anonymous said...

first of all: brandon, shut up. no you weren't about to just abandon your cynical ways and write a nice post so cut the crap.

jules, what was so bad about that? think of all the money he was saving you. without those tapes you not only would have had to waste your time taping things, but you'd of had to pay for it. man jerry, what a stand up guy.

brandon and i are kindred souls. yes, there are happy moments in our lives - but who wants to read it. eew.

as far as bad gifts i've received? really? if my blogs are any indication, we don't need to go there.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to say the paper weight with the rose in it. I forgot about the video tapes. I agree, those were the worst.

Jewels said...

Brit - You're right - I should be thankful for the whole $10 he saved me on that ONE instance. Gee- what a guy.

Mom - Ahh... my $100 paperweight... still in its box, in a box, in my closet. I should regift that....

Unknown said...

I can't really think of one. Although, a guy once got me 3 small glass roses after I dumped him.

Anonymous said...

As you might be able to deduce by my 'say what you see' name, Woman in Black, I am not one for brightly coloured apparel. This, however, does not deter half my friends and family buying me 'cheerful' scarves ('because you can wear any colour with black!') or hideous wraps/shawls/hats/gloves etc in every colour of the rainbow. You'd think I'd have made it easy for them by only wearing one colour, but no. They are essentially giving me a gift that says: 'God, we really want to change you and make you better'. It doesn't work. Yet still they don't stop. Grrr.

Jewels said...

womaninblack - one the upside, could you exchange it or drop it in some dye?

or hey - RE-GIFT!!