Friday, February 6, 2009

Early Years....

13 is an amusing age in retrospect. So many things that I found to be absolutely humiliating at the time, I now consider hilarious.

My Dad does not get embarrassed. In fact, my Dad probably does things to TRY to be embarrassed just so he knows what it feels like, but to no avail.

I remember one day, when I was around 13, Dad and I went to the grocery store. We were walking in and just barely in the entry of the store when he noticed his shirt was untucked. Understand it does not matter where or the circumstances to my father, if his shirt is untucked, he must tuck it back in. Onlookers, be damned!! My Dad stops right where he is, unbuckles his belt, unbuttons his pants, then FULLY unzips his pants. Then, right there in the middle of the entryway he tucks his shirt back in. At 13, this appeared to take about 5 minutes, when in actually it was about one. Was the one minute necessary? Nope. Dad just saw the pained expression on my face and the flush creeping up my neck and thought it would be funny to drag out a bit.



I'll never forget, that as my Dad was doing this, a grocery store worker, a teenager, cute of course, was pushing in a line of carts. He stopped, looked at my Dad....looked at me, and said;

"Your life sucks doesn't it"

And then proceeded on.


PS - I'm 27, and my Dad still does this, I'm just no longer affected.... MUCH to his dismay might I add.

6 comments:

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Reggie Girl thinks that you AND your dad are funny!!

When you bringing your funny self to Georgia senselessjewels?

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Reggie Girl thinks that you AND your Dad are hilarious. When you coming to sunny Georgia mamn?

Carrie Maxwell said...

funny.

one time, my dad and his best friend chased me and my sisters and our friends around the mall with their shirts pulled up over their guts as they rubbed their belly's yelling, "girls... time to go slop the hogs"

a story that still brings tears of laughter to the two old farts every time it's told. :D

good times.

Anonymous said...

I used to tease my dad asking him how someone could break his finger.....


By punching him in the nose.


Every single stop light he was digging. Now that is embarassing!

Anonymous said...

oh man, i can't even describe to you how embarrassing my father was for the entire duration of my schooling. now that i look back on it, my friends thought he was the coolest thing ever and still do. If i'd of just learned to embrace it I suppose i could have saved myself alot of stress induced acne.

p.s. your blog won my contest! any posts you want me to highlight, or just the blog in general??

Jewels said...

MMM - we are funny - we are awesomeness.

Carrie - I was eating out when your comment approval came up on my blackberry and I disturbed everyone at the wine bar but laughing so hard, that is awesome

Bearman - ummm.....ewww

Dailyelephant - My friends LOVE my dad -when I used to still live at home and they came by they would end up hanging out with my dad. an old man talking politics, conspiracy cursing while drinking whiskey - whats not to love