Monday, October 27, 2008

A Cluster of This and That

Well last week I attempted the baby steps of “getting out more.” I had wine with a new friend, and really enjoyed it. Thursday my friend Christina and I went to UT to catch a free Gavin DeGraw show. I have always liked his songs, but his live show… and him.. well there isn’t much to complain about there. And hey, I was out on a Thursday and I survived!!!

I want to address a comment now left on a previous blog – it was left on this one – http://senselessjewels.blogspot.com/2008/10/where-does-hate-come-from.html

The Comment is from “Rebecca” (whom I know ATLEAST 5 of so this could be one of them or someone new, I have no clue), and here is what it says.

“To add some objectivity... your region and demographic affects your perspective about hateful propaganda. For example, if you were a first generation Mexican-American living in Los Angeles, there's a good chance you would be fixated on Republican supporters at a recent rally noting that they were "afraid of Obama" and that he is an "Arab". Luckily, McCain grabbed the microphone from the woman and said "no ma'am." I think the candidates have kept the hatefulness to a minimum between them. As for supporters, people get emotional and say terrible things on behalf of both tickets. Racist comments abound regarding Barack and have little to do with his ability or inability to be president. Search and ye will find nastiness on both ends. And remember that it is easy to be biased if you're inundated with the beliefs of those in your community. The only purpose in that is to distract you from making your own decision and to make you focus on an Us vs. Them mentality. We're all citizens for crying out loud.”

Now I must say I am rather offended by this persons “assumptions.” First of all, to state my view of “hateful propaganda” is only because of my demographic and region is ignorant, and not me at all. First of all I live in Austin, TX, a majority of this city is liberal. Second of all 90% of my friends and acquaintances are liberal, I am the minority in my political beliefs here. It does not take any region or demographic to see how incredibly biased the media is on Barack Obama. How either side could ignore that is crazy to me. Yes hateful things are said on and by both sides… but it is the people at the McCain/Palin rallies that have the repetitive media coverage, while the Obama/Biden backers are swept under frivolous stories of Paris Hilton or Angelina Jolie. I am an intelligent young woman and I can think for myself, please do not assume to know my IQ level.

Ok – off that, on to other things.

I woke up last night around 2am and could not fall back asleep until 5am. Wow – the amazing things that come across tv between 2 and 5am.
1. I want me a Kymora body shaper! Those things look awesome! Lose weight, no work out… 39.95, no thanks.
2. Some funky named straightener that can also curl your hair… I’m confused…
3. Bridezillas. I have no fear of dying alone if these crazies can get someone to marry them. One woman actually REFUSED to let her 2 year old walk with her down the aisle because it “was her day.” – Wow. Another was upset her boobs were not falling out the sides of her dress. You read that right.

Quality programming my friends.

I will leave you with my new sign off that my Dad says to me on a regular basis

Stay out of trouble, or don’t get caught.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Now, I don't want some nasty, snotty nosed kid walking down the isle putting it's grubby paws on my wedding dress either. Of course, this is a wedding dress that will never exist, but never the less - GROSS!! KIDS = GROSS! LOL :)

Love the new blog(s)! HIIIII!

Anonymous said...

OK, I love that sign off.

Quality programming indeed.

The snarky commenter? eh. Funny that it's so easy to leave a comment like that when there's no real opportunity for discourse.

to that i say, "eh."

:-)

You're doing great!

Hey, my hat's off to ya. I don't think I'd survive one week in Austin. I love to visit, but I'd go stark raving mad with so much "liberal propoganda" in my face day in and day out! ;-)

oh, one last thing....Lubbock's motto is....Keep Lubbock Flat.