Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My (now former) Omnipresent Neighbor

I adore kids. I have baby-sat since I was 12 and at 26 continue to do so because I enjoy it. There have been a few kids that have tested my patience, but never one I actually RAN from. That is, until I bought my condo. It started out innocent enough with the little girl living next door. I would be out with Wilson and Gracie and she would stop by to pet them or say hi. She would often say “I love Yorkshire Terriers,” or “they are so cute.” One day I met her parents and told them their daughter was cute and smart, and I thought it was odd that they seemed surprised!

And then I learned why….

I swear, there are TWENTY of that one little girl. She is around every corner, at the mailboxes, on the stairs, riding her bike around the building, EVERYWHERE.. and she talks and talk and talks….. It got to the point where my neighbor and I would see her down the way and turn, change our course, or pick up to the pace to the point of a freaking sprint to avoid the kid. Being the kid lover I am, I started to feel guilty and tried to be kinder to her. Then one Sunday night, when I had 3 friends over, and Ernie too (neighbor’s dog), there was a knock on the door. Naturally all three dogs go crazy barking and running around, and we all pause the movie. I have no idea who could be at the door as my neighbor and two closest friends are there, and I can see no one through the peep hole. I open the door, and there stands the little girl. I say hi, and she says….

“Can Wilson and Gracie come out and play?”




Now, I was not aware that my dogs had friends in the neighborhood besides their pal Ernie, let alone that they could “go out and play.” Fortunately, in my speechless moment her mother grabbed her, apologized, and took her inside. After that incident said little girl was seen only once. Last Friday I was taking out my trash and she ran to keep up with me. She said “Can I ask you a question”, I said sure… her reply left me speechless again..

“Am I annoying?”

Naturally I said no. What was I going to do, tell an 8 year old grown ups ran when they saw her coming?? The next morning, this past Saturday, a miracle happened, THEY MOVED!!! No more little girl… or her 19 multiples. Wilson and Gracie suddenly have less to fear, and the condos are safe again.


Now, who's moving in next?!

2 comments:

Carrie Maxwell said...

wow.

that is too funny... and yet sad.

her parents must have told her she was annoying.

hopefully they've moved her to a neighborhood with other kids!

BAM said...

That is sitcom funny. Seriously.